This recipe came about from a desire to make something using Laverbread as the main ingredient. Laverbread to the uninitiated is made using seaweed and is traditional delicacy in Wales.
It’s not the most appetising ingredient to look at, being very dark green almost black, a bit like the seaweed it’s made from. It has a lovely taste of the sea, and is incredibly healthy to eat, being full of minerals, vitamins and trace elements.
Traditionally in Wales it is served with bacon and cockles, and is often warmed quickly in the bacon fat after that has been cooked.
It isn’t to everyones taste though, a lot of squeamish eaters complain that it’s a bit “slimy” and therefore avoid it. Personally I love it with bacon and cockles but I can wanted to create something that took away the so called “slimy” qualities.
This recipe I believe takes away the usual texture associated with laverbread and our customers can’t seem to get enough of them. It’s not a difficult recipe to make and providing you can get hold of the laverbread the rest of the ingredients are easy enough to come by.
Hope you enjoy and let us know how you get on if you try to make it.
- 250 grams Laverbread
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 140 ml water
- 1 Free range egg
- 200 grams Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 small bunch Parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Crack the egg into a clean bowl and whisk it
- Add the chopped garlic and parsley and mix
- Add the salt, a good grind of black pepper and the water and mix again
- Using a sieve add the flour and mix thoroughly making sure there are no lumps
- Add the baking powder and mix again
- Finally add the laverbread and mix very thorughly
- Turn on your Fryer and let the mixture stand for five minutes until the temperature reaches 180 degrees C
- For the next step you will need either a small ice cream scoop or two dessert spoons
- Using a small ice cream scoop or two dessert spoons take a small ball of the mixture and drop it gently and carefully into the hot oil
- Repeat with three or four more balls and let fry until golden brown
- Remove them when they are ready and place on a baking tray or large plate
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used up